Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Right now we are alive and in this moment I swear we are infinite.


I saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower last week and it restored my faith in teen movies.

I am one of the few people who has not read the book. Oddly, the book came out when I was in high school but I was too busy obsessing over the Harry Potter series to notice.

Now, I'm kind of kicking myself in the ass for not paying attention.

Well, anyway, I saw the film and absolutely fell in love.


The plot revolves around a socially awkward high school freshman as he struggles to face the demons of his past and keep his head above water during adolescence.

Fortunately, he makes some fucking awesome friends in the process.


I think one of the main reasons I was so shocked I had not read the book yet is because everything about it screams "Jenny!". I mean, the main character, Charlie, is a writer. The Smiths are basically worshipped, with Morrissey posters everywhere. And nobody wastes time texting, because it's 1992. So, basically, it's like my perfect world.


What I thought was most interesting about this film is that the author of the book, Stephen Chbosky, directed it. How often does that happen?!

For me, that made the film more legitimate. Having the novelist put his own work to film really speaks volumes about its authenticity. This is how he wanted his masterpiece portrayed. And for someone who hasn't directed much else, I think Stephen did a terrific job.


I know many fans of the book were disgusted with the casting of the adorable British actress Emma Watson as Sam, Charlie's crush.

I actually thought Emma did a good job. And clearly, if Stephen wanted Emma for the role, that says something about his viewpoint of his own character. You just have to trust him.


In fact, I think everyone in the film did an impressive job. I think my favorite performance, however, was that of Ezra Miller, who plays Charlie's adorable friend, Patrick. I think he kind of stole the show, actually.



Nina Dobrev (who I adore in The Vampire Diaries) plays Charlie's older sister. I'm totally copying her curly, braided hairstyle from the film.


Anyway, I think this movie came out during perfect timing. The soundtrack is freaking amazing and will satisfy even the most slightest of hipster. It's a film very fitting for today's teenager. I hate to admit it, but I think if the film had come out in 1999, when I was a high school freshman, it wouldn't have done very well. My high school generation, obsessed with Britney Spears and Abercrombie & Fitch, simply wouldn't have gotten it at the time. The message and the "cool factor" would have been completely lost on us.

I highly suggest you see this film, if you haven't already.

31 comments:

Alex Byer said...

I was obsessed with the book in high school, and now you've convinced me I need to see the movie too. Eee!

French Girl in Seattle said...

Ah, finally, the review. Well, it sounds as if I REALLY have to go and see it, then? I will report back to you and tell you if I agree with you, ok? Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Meri said...

I haven't read this book either, but have heard great things about the movie. Glad you're another good review to add to the mix! I'll check it out!

Imogen said...

This definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. I didn't know anything about it. I am going to make some time to watch it for sure.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

The book is one of my favourites...I want to see the movie, but if they messed it up from the book, I will raise hell ;) I hate when they screw the films up. But, I have hope :)) x

Annie said...

This movie looks great...glad to hear it got good reviews!

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Couture Carrie said...

Fab review and reco, darling!
Will definitely see this one!

xoxox,
CC

Megan said...

I want to see this - I've heard good things!

Unknown said...

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but after your description I want to do it, sounds great, I also want to be a writter Jenny, we will always be poor, so sad!!
xx
Have a great Monday

Oh to Be a Muse said...

It sounds like a great high school coming-of-age story. Maybe sort of like The Breakfast Club (which I effin' love).

I like that the writer of the book actually directed the movie--that says a lot. I'll have to Redbox this. :)

Ally Gradley said...

I totally want to see this movie now!

www.gumbootglam.com

xo Ally

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I really need to see the film and book! If Emma is in it, that says a lot. She is super smart and wouldn't take on a role if it wasn't great! Thanks Jenn! :)
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Amy K said...

I want to see this movie SO BAD! I am glad you liked it, it makes me more excited to see it.

Much Love,
http://amyklundt.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Based on this review I will have to go see it, thanks!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Maddie said...

I just so want to watch it!

callmemaddie.blogspot.com

ravenlocks said...

I'm so glad you did a review on this! I saw a preview for it and was kind of turned off when I saw Emma Watson in it. I'm not sure why, but she sounded fucking retarded in the preview. But now that you wrote about it I want to see it. LOL!

I'm surprised it takes place in the early 90s! I must see it...especially since the author wrote it. How awesome is that?

xoxo

Azu

love jenny xoxo said...

I really wanna see this but I think I might read the book first... can't decide :)

XOXO

two birds said...

i heard this movie was the new john hughes sort of movie...so i think i need to see it. i have never read the book, either, but i want to!

Blond Duck said...

I was thinking about seeing this. It sounds great!

Gayatri said...

Ohhh I need to watch this movie and read the book. If it's recommended by you, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Josie said...

I want to see this sooooo badly! I'm glad you liked it so much!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Sherin said...

I totally missed it when the book came out too! I need to watch this film. Looks like it's great.

Mia said...

cant wait to see this movie. it is not out in austria yet so i am getting exctited. great review.

xxx m

thisishowwerule.blogspot.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

I read this book years ago, and have been smitten ever since. I need to see the film ASAP! :)

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm looking for mutual followers.
shoppingepisodes.blogspot.com

Emily said...

I am so glad that this is good, I love Emma Watson! Thanks for the review!

creamyclothes.blogspot.com

Karolina B-H said...

I haven't read the book either and now I will have too see this movie!!

xxo

Anks said...

hi, landed here via Tanvi's blog and am so glad I did!!! You are one fabulous blogger missy. I adored your cotton candy world and am totally with you on getting the 1920 swimsuits back... if you start a movement, count me in :)

Midwest Muse said...

This is one of my favorite books. I've been reading it since high school (all the time really) and letting everyone I've ever met read it because it's truly a perfect book. The movie was spot on, but I didn't feel like it translated to film all that well. It left a lot to be desired though I did enjoy it and I loved the casting -- it just didn't have the momentum or warmth the book has.

Mimi said...

i really, really want to see this movie! but i want to read the book first... i shall get on it soon! ;)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Salt City Bakery Giveaway
$100 Shopbop Gift Card Giveaway

Arielle-HumblePieVintage said...

I read the book but I haven't seen the film yet b/c my town's theater sucks and isn't playing it. That's cool that he directed it too. I love Emma W. so I don't mind her being casted. I can't wait to see it!