Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Four years ago...



The lights were dim in the Oak Room on that blistery November night.

The snow outside the hotel lounge's crystal clear bay windows was whirling in the wind. The city skyline could barely been seen. Inside, I sat demurely on a maroon velvet couch, wearing a large belted men's black pinstripe shirt as a dress and red Jimmy Choo heels. He was standing at the bar, ordering another White Russian, while glancing at me out of the corner of his eye.

The jazz band across the room was playing "Christmas Time is Here."

It was my first time at the reputable Oak Room. Surrounded by sparkling martini glasses, black designer cocktail dresses, and glistening Rolex watches, I felt so grown up. I was 22. He was 26.

He came back to the couch and handed me my drink. Our hands touched and I gazed into his eyes, before blushing.

In that moment, I didn't know we would spend the next four years breaking each other's hearts. I didn't know we would spend the next four years mending them. I didn't know about his health problems which would occur. I didn't know about the weight I would gain. I didn't know about the jobs we would lose. I didn't know we would one day be living together in a tiny apartment, struggling, practically penniless, to get by.

I didn't even know if there was going to be a next date.

But the future didn't matter. I enjoyed sitting next to this good-looking man, who talked with passion about poetry and his classical guitar training. I enjoyed the way he laughed at my stories. I enjoyed feeling pretty.

I didn't want to be anywhere else.

Last night, I felt that again.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're waxing romantic?

Great post.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Oh sweetie this is so awesome. I was wondering how you guys met. Awww. I loved this post, so genuine. =)

Anonymous said...

Aww Jen, this post is so sweet and romantic!
You should have seen me, reading it with heart-shaped eyes!!! <3

You truly are adorable, sweetie!

xxx
Vikki

http://stylometre.blogspot.com

MariahSmile said...

Awwww, so sweet! What beautiful words :-)

JUST ME said...

Sooo sweet.

Congrats on finding a guy who fits you, mama. And who treats you the way you DESERVE. :)

Unknown said...

sweet post x

Missy
Blending Style, Celebs and Fashion
http://thefashionfusion.blogspot.com

Venus Loves Virgo said...

Beautiful! I want to weep a little XOXO

Josie said...

Miss Jennifer, this is absolutely beautiful -- I love it!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

btd. said...

This is truly amazing. I'm so happy for you, you have someone who really loves you. :)

drollgirl said...

what a beautiful post!

it is so nice to look back on past relationships and remember the good, and giddy feelings they brought. and it is such a relief when one feels it again.

indianmakeupways said...

this is such a sweet post. may u guys b together for a long long long time :)

Christopher said...

ooo la la, you fox you

Vix said...

Wonderful! You are a great writer, I adore you. Here's to many more happy years together. xxx

Leia said...

My heart is meltinggggg!!!

Leia

Sherin said...

This is so romantic!! And I love how you've written this. He is very very lucky to have you!

daisychain said...

What a beautiful post xx

Couture Carrie said...

Lovely post, darling!
Beautifully written!

xoxox,
CC

Barry said...

I'm in love with this. I hope you hold onto that feeling.

xoxo

Courtney Erin said...

How sweet and romantic!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

Awwwwww!!! Congratulations!! I wish you and your man the best of luck in the future! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

o said...

Omgosh, Jen, this is beautiful! Sigh...so romantic:)

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

Imogen said...

Jennifer, you are so beautiful. The way you write is incredible and your words make me almost feel as though I was there. It sounds so sweet and romantic the setting of where you met and its incredible you could experience that feeling again. I understand what you are saying. I look back at my own relationship and the three years I have spent with Rydog. I particularly remember the first day I saw him. It wasn't at all romantic because it was when he started at my high school and walked into modern history class. I never thought we would end up together. I always wonder what it would have been like if I had known we would be engaged four years later, I would have become so involved with him and his family and we would be planning our future together and have been almost inseparable for the past few years. Its always interesting to think like this I believe. Also, I wanted to say thank you for all your support with my university and your comments. It has helped me knowing that I have such a wonderful friend to talk to. It means a lot to me and I greatly appreciate it.

A BRIT GREEK said...

Awwww, so sweet....
x.o.x.o

Audrey Allure said...

Love this post, you truly are such a great writer. And that's sooo sweet! :)

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ohmigosh I love this Jennifer! Why oh why can't I meet a guy this way? So incredibly sweet!! :)

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

Awe. I love this post!

Amber
ambersmouthwash

Heather Taylor said...

This is too sweet for words Jennifer!